Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Grouse Mountain

Grouse Mountain
One of Vancouver's must see's is Grouse Mountain. Grouse Mountain is the site of many different seasonal events and activities. In the winter, there is an alpine ski area, snow shoeing, ice skating rink, and various children shows. In the summer, Grouse Mountain hosts a lumber jack show, and a zip line. One of the main attractions in my opinion is the 2.9km hike up the mountain, the "Grouse Grind".
 

The alpine ski area, located at the southern slope of the mountain is normally open through the months of December and May (assuming that the snow is still there by May). Grouse Mountain provides a rental service for both skis and snowboards and any other equipment you may need. Prices vary from $5.00-$42.00 depending on different age groups, and different items. Any equipment rented requires a refundable $250 security deposit. If you do plan on renting, i suggest you rent from them online. If you decide to do it in person, it can be very tedious. The line ups can get very long, and a lot of questions will be asked. You are also allowed to bring your own equipment.


Ground Grind half way mark
This is my favorite activity of Grouse Mountain, the Grouse Grind. The Grouse Grind is a 2.9km hike up the mountain. The hike is best described as a never ending stair case till you get to the top. My first experience was quite aggravating (keep in mind that i was 12 and out of shape at the time). I was finally approaching the first sign that tells you where you are at in the hike. The sign stated that it was the "official" starting point of the Grouse Grind. I thought i would be reading 1/4 of the way up, but they crush my hopes with that information. The Grind is an excellent way to get into shape. They have signs marking 1/4,1/2,3/4, and the end of the hike. If this is your first hike, it will for sure be a very grueling and tiring one. There are 2 ways to get back to the bottom; you can either hike your way back down (it is not recommended), or you can purchase a $5 ticket to ride the gondola back down. Any ways, reaching the top was very rewarding for me, I was finally able to say "I can see my house from here" (I literally could see it, the view is that great).

There are many quite a few things to do once you reach the top of Grouse Mountain. There is a the Lumber Jack show that i mentioned earlier. I haven't seen it myself because it's really not my thing, but I've read many good reviews. They also have a very enjoyable zip line that will bring you all the way down the mountain. I haven't been on this zip line either, but i have been on the one they had set up for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Bear Sanctuary
When I save up enough money, I am going on the Grouse Mountain zip line for sure. Another thing that I really enjoy at the top of the mountain is the animal sanctuary. Grouse Mountain has an area fenced off for many Grizzly Bears where they can safely and freely go about their business. There is also a gift shop where you can buy souvenirs and different winter wear, a restaurant (In my opinion, everything is way over priced so if you are planning to eat cheap... buy food before you go up to the top), and a theater room that can hold up to 100 people. The shows they play are very educational about different wild life you can find on the mountain.


I hope this review was helpful for everyone. Grouse Mountain is a beautiful place that I am sure anyone would enjoy. http://www.grousemountain.com is their main page where you can get additional information, or rent your gear for the winter time. Thanks for reading! 


1 comment:

  1. Cleaning companies can be found in virtually every town and city in the world, with a higher concentration in affluent regions.

    Office cleaning in vancouver

    ReplyDelete